Monday 28 January 2013

Departure day

I'm writing this the day before I leave. Six months of planning, construction and problem solving and the bike is loaded and ready to go. In my mind I had visions of how the trip would go - I'd leave on a clear, crisp winter's morning and head for the ferry at a steady, if not spectacular, 50mph, arriving in time for a chance to warm up and grab a lateish breakfast before the European motorway network beckoned. A couple of days later I'd be in southern Germany picking my way easily through deep snow while larger, more unwieldy bikes were sliding off the road and being towed out of ditches with their owners rehearsing what they were going to tell their insurance companies.

The reality is that it's tipping it down outside and forecast to rain for at least the next two days. Not only that but the wind has just sent my bins skittering down the road and it's going to get windier. Additionally, reports from southern Germany say that snow is a rare commodity there at the moment. I have better bikes in the garage for these conditions but the bloop is packed and prepped, so, for better or for worse, it's the bloop's 10bhp versus the west wind and truck drivers watching a DVD while they steer. Here we go...



No comments:

Post a Comment